Concerns of Healthcare Professionals during Covid-19 pandemic in Pakistan


  • Mehwish Ayyaz Lady aitchison Hospital Lahore
  • Amna Khanum Obs & Gynaecolog, Lahore
  • Mahliqa Maqsud Obs & Gynaecolog, Lahore
  • Zubda Aiman Obs & Gynaecolog, Lahore
  • Kiran Noureen Obs & Gynaecolog, Lahore
  • Samia Jamil Obs & Gynaecolog, Lahore



Concerns, Covid-19, Healthcare professionals


Background: The COVID-19 pandemic has adversely affected healthcare professionals.

Objective: To determine the concerns of healthcare professionals during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Methodology: This descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted at the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Unit-5, Lady Aitchison Hospital, Lahore from 1st March to 31st March 2020.   Sample size of 108 healthcare professionals was taken. Six main categories of concerns were made and various themes were recognized in each category. These included; the provision of PPE, risk of getting disease at work, transmission of infection to family members, access to COVID-19 testing if symptomatic, training to provide high-quality care, and support from institutional governing bodies. Data was analyzed by using SPSS version 20.

Results: Regarding the provision of  PPE; 35% got PPE from hospital administration, and 29% faced a shortage of kits during initial days. Regarding the risk of getting disease at work; 21% of Healthcare providers, and patients were not practicing any precautionary measures, and social distancing was not practiced appropriately (15%). Overall 36% feared transmission of infection to family members. Limited number of testing kits available per day was another concern of Healthcare providers (23%).  There was not enough training or guidelines and set protocols was a concern shown by 27% and 46% showed nonavailability of funds.

Conclusion: It is concluded that healthcare professionals are concerned about the provision of PPEs, the risk of transmission of infection to family members, the lack of proper training, and the shortage of funds.